Date: 8/29/19 5:54 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 7 7

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jim Balint, Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy w/Rain (80-100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,800-8,300 ft.,
Visibility - 10-5 miles, Temps 77 - 72F, Winds L & V.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
1-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (2) and Turkey Vultures (11).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-_
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
128 Killdeer and still no other shorebirds were at the Polo Fields as I
checked on my drive-by heading to Bucktoe. Once there, the cloudy skies
gave way to rain. Funny, I hadn’t seen THAT in the forecast. It all
fit my dreary mood just perfectly. Not much to say today - so I won’t
try to not say it.
<BR><BR>
Jim was out today. What more can I say? Beaty made her way out, too;
after the rain. She reported no rain as close as Avondale. Beaty received
“full-partial credit” for finding the day’s first Common Nighthawk;
an early one at 6:18pm. More followed; eight in all. I thought that with
that start it would be one of our major pushes for this species, but it was
not to be. We saw no more. The intense cloud cover and low sun did lead
to a spectacular sunset and wonderful evening colors, both on the trees and
in the sky. Did you notice it?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawks, Blue Grosbeak, and Bobolinks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Red-spotted Purple. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow
Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.7; Steps:
8,679; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
61
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks better, but not very much for background clouds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek