Date: 8/28/19 3:46 pm
From: Eric Arnold <eba...>
Subject: Re: [birders] bat removal advice
Thanks to the several birders who responded to my bat query. There was a
sense of consensus that opening a window to allow it to remove itself was
among the better ideas, and with no obvious problem with leaving a nearby
window open, we decided to try that first. We're assuming that it might
not try to leave until it gets fairly dark, and the room is closed off from
the rest of the house so we're hoping it finds its freedom without
difficulty.
I was mistaken about its location, which is in a large bedroom with a
ceiling that is directly below the roof, which is a standard gable type,
and the bat was in one end of the peak of the inverted "V" where it somehow
found a small irregularity in the plaster to hang onto. The open window is
directly below it, but the peak (and the bat) is high up and not easily
reached, and a chest that would not be very easy to move is directly below,
so trying this option first seems pretty reasonable. We plan to be out
this evening until after dark, anyway, so we'll check after we come back
later this evening, and if it isn't gone then, we can check again in the
morning, and if it hasn't left by then, we'll consider other approaches.

Eric

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<CABv5-TUt_NXPhchuBwRHV-V2wCxmQC0nqCmaDmxDcVohXg0w0g...>

Join us on Facebook!