Date: 8/28/19 1:10 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island - 08-28-2019
Donna Cooper and I had a great day leading Joppa Flats' Wednesday
Morning Birding program on Plum Island.  We beat feet down to Sandy
Point and then made our way back up the island to Stage Island Pool,
Bill Forward Pool blind, and Hellcat.  Our high-tide hopes of roosting
shorebirds on Sandy Point bore fruit and aside from missing Doug's and
MaryMargaret's Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the blind, we had some pretty
"good" birds.  Skies were partly cloudy to cloudy; temps in the low 70s;
and winds SE/5-10 mph.

Our list:

Canada Goose (~ 40) - various.
Gadwall (4) - hen & 3 young; Bill Forward Pool (BFP).
Mallard (~ 30) - Stage Island Pool (SIP) & BFP.
Common Eider (1) - Sandy Point.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Least Bittern (1) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Great Blue Heron (2) - SIP.
Great Egret (~ 5) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 30) - most all immature; SIP.
Osprey (2) - 1, Pines platform; 1, flyover n. lot #2.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - SIP.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - n. end refuge.
American Avocet (1) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover (~ 500) - roosting on Sandy Point.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 50) - major share, SIP; balance, BFP/North Pool
from Hellcat dike.
Lesser Yellowlegs (~ 15) - some, SIP; most, North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Sanderling (~ 10) - roosting on Sandy Point among Semipal Plovers.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (~ 300) - ~ 100 roosting on Sandy Point among
Semipal Plovers; ~ 200, algae mat, main panne (unfortunately ran out of
time to search for Least & Western Sandpipers).
Short-billed Dowitcher (4) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Long-billed Dowitcher (3) - North Pool from Hellcat dike (thanks, Bob
Murphy!).
Ring-billed Gull - Sandy Point.
Herring Gull - Sandy Point.
Great Black-backed Gull (1) - Sandy Point.
Least Tern (4) - 2 juvs, 2 ads; Sandy Point.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Eastern Kingbird (2) - juvs; lot #7.
Tree Swallow (5,000+) - spectacular scene!
American Robin (1)
Gray Catbird (3)
European Starling - common.
Eastern Towhee (1) - Sandy Point parking lot vicinity.
Song Sparrow (1) - Sandy Point.

 We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!