Date: 8/28/19 12:57 pm
From: Veer Frost <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] hyper feisty young hummer
I think this must be the same juvenile, first I saw it chasing a
(similarly) juvenile chickadee, not just a bit but following the
clearly agitated bird's leaps away, through the branches of several
trees.(though it quit when a bevy of chickadees came swooping across
the garden in defense.) A day or so later, it chased a massively
larger immature male Cardinal, again off posts and through branch
after branch until both disappeared. Now, today, as two Monarch
butterflies nectared on Tithonia and Joe pye weed, both nearing 7'
tall, it chased them from blossom to blossom until they moved on,
appearing to take a quick sip between times for fortification. This
despite masses of jewelweed and a big clump of cardinal flower ... .
Never seen quite this level of garden policeman syndrome!
Veer Frost, Passumpsic NEK
__

Sent using Hushmail

Join us on Facebook!