Date: 8/28/19 7:29 am
From: Crystal Keller <crystal...>
Subject: [birders] Re: OT Monarchs
Many Monarchs visit my small pond and pollinator garden every day. Right now we have 15 Monarch caterpillars in various stages of development in enclosures. I have seen many Monarchs on my almost daily walks at Kensington and Island Lake. Agree with others, it seems to be a good year for Monarchs.

I recommend a day trip to Pt. Pelée NP in Ontario for the Monarch migration. Best times for viewing are mid-August through September, ideally during conditions that would cause the butterflies to roost white waiting for favorable conditions to cross Lake Erie on the journey to Mexico. Last September my husband and I got lucky, and were able to visit the park at the end of a multi-day stretch of bad weather. There were 10,000 monarchs, as well as thousands of dragonflies and Blue jays. I will post link to photo album from that day if I can figure out how to get public link.

Crystal Keller
Green Oak Township, Livingston County

On Aug 27, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

Yes...here in the metro Detroit Area anyway...over roads, in parks and neighborhoods. A very good year here it seems.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM -0400, "Sherri Smith" <grackle...> <mailto:<grackle...>> wrote:

I am seeing a monarch butterfly practically everywhere I go. Are the rest of you having the same experience?
Sherri Smith

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<A5CCC372-BFE9-46E5-B974-6F2B61A1B24C...>

Join us on Facebook!