Date: 8/28/19 7:11 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Aug 2019) 2 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 2 7 7

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Sue McLaughlin, Briton & Poly, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (90-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -5,900-4,200 ft., Visibility -
100 miles, Temps 73 - 69F, Winds Southeast @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (15) and Turkey Vultures (29).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I started today writing at Octoraro Reservoir while still hoping for a
Black Tern or Laughing Gull; believing it would also be a good idea to
check the status of “our mudflats” for shorebirds. I found the mud
delightfully enticing [for shorebirds, that is], but few were present just
now. Rather, an assortment of Herons, Egrets, Gulls and Raptors were
making use of it.
<BR><BR>
Highlights here today were Wood Duck, Black Duck, Yellow-billed Cuckoo,
Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Great Egrets,
Great Blue Herons, Double-crested Cormorants, Ring-billed Gulls, Ospreys,
Bald Eagles, Belted Kingfisher, Rough-winged Swallow, Bank Swallows,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
With regional reports of Phalaropes occurring, I decided to check a few
likely places for these rare shorebirds. The best I could come up with at
Oxford WTP were a couple each of Lesser Yellowlegs and Spotted Sandpipers.
The Polo Fields had 175 Killdeer, but no other shorebirds, still. At New
Garden WTP there were Wood Ducks, Lesser Yellowlegs and Spotted Sandpipers.
It was then that I gave up the search and headed for Bucktoe.
<BR><BR>
Once at Bucktoe, my attention turned to the sky, trees and meadows. I had
enough of the sewage plants and lakes for the day. A high Cooper’s Hawk
circled southwest. It was a week or so early, but It acted like a migrant;
becoming the season’s first of that species. At 7pm, an Osprey did the
same thing. A pair of Blue Grosbeaks was around our site just as today’s
Barred Owl activity began. Hooting along the Red Clay Creek began at
5:15pm. The meadow remains “alive” with butterflies. 13 species were
noticed today.
<BR><BR>
Sue dropped in hours early; taking a walk around the meadow. She saw
nothing of note. Briton was out with Poly; neither with binoculars. Gerry
had binoculars, but we had no Nighthawks! If there’s one thing I hate,
it’s a “Nighthawk Watch” with no Nighthawks to watch. We’ll get
them tomorrow
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Bobolinks, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red Admiral, American Lady. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.23; Steps:
12,270; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
Hawk Watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list
of species identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area.
We include it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know
what else we’re seeing here at the Bucktoe Watch. Our tally board, on
site, will feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” –
searching for Hawks must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year. The overall list for the season
from the watch will be part of the large weekly “blog,” if you’ve
signed up for that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season:
61
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):”
Osprey, Cooper’s Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, Eastern Kingbird, and
Brown-headed Cowbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit like today was, with cloudy skies and light
winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: