Date: 8/28/19 4:24 am
From: Liz Lackey <lackeytomliz...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Nighthawk migration
Report from Stowe.
Last night (Aug 27) I saw a total of 65 migrating nighthawks go thru starting at 6:55p and flight ending at 7:20. I was there 6:30 to 7:45p.
Flight was very high. Some times the birds were seen thru the thin cloud layer that was covering most of the sky. Only 3 birds were seen low and foraging. The others were on a mission. Southbound.
Largest group was 32.

I would not have seen any of this high flight from my front porch. I am glad I decided to go to my usual haunt (the parking lot behind the Stowe Community Church) which is just a short walk away.

I’ve lived in Stowe all my life, and never knew I could observe the nighthawk migration from here. I wonder what the numbers were like back in the 1960s? And I would so love to know their route north and south of here. I am just seeing a small piece of it.

Liz Lackey
Stowe

Join us on Facebook!