Date: 8/28/19 4:15 am
Subject: White-winged Dove on Ocracoke
On Sunday afternoon, Aug. 26, a White-winged Dove appeared in my yard and
flew up to the telephone wire in the Widgeon Woods section of Ocracoke,
near the lighthouse. I put bird seed on the ground, and it was feeding
with the many Eurasian Collared and Mourning Doves. It has not reappeared.
I work on my porch, so I’ve been on the lookout for it. This is the second
time I’ve seen one in the yard. A few years ago, one was reported on a
Wings Over Water field trip. A few days later, I saw one here. I think this
is an unusual time of the year for one to show up. I got a very good look
at it, but it left by the time I got my camera. /Pete Vankevich

Join us on Facebook!