Date: 8/27/19 5:48 pm
Subject: Re: exciting gull at Falls Lake
Just a brief note that we now think we can safely call the bird discussed
in this thread a Little Gull. Any nagging doubts about the remote
possibility of a Ross's were squashed by Bruce's confidence in having seen
a black terminal band across the entire tail, as well as a clear vagrancy
pattern: first-cycle Ross's mostly turn up from mid- to late winter (just a
single October record in Scotland was the earliest non-arctic appearance of
a first-year bird that I could find). Records of August juvenile Little
Gulls quite far south, on the other hand, are not too hard to find --e.g. 3
together on an Aug 14th in Colorado--, though not close to the Atlantic
coast. As for plumage, the shoulder patch is among the last to disappear in
the juv to first-winter molt, such that a more Kittiwake-like appearance is
indeed possible. Still, this early in the year, it is likely that this bird
did have some dark markings that we did not notice on the back and
scapulars.

Good birding,

Jelmer Poelstra
Durham

--
Jelmer Poelstra
311 Biological Sciences Building, Biology Department
Duke University Durham, NC
Email: <jelmerpoelstra...> / <jelmer.poelstra...>
Phone: (+1) 919-260-8253

Join us on Facebook!