Date: 8/27/19 1:02 pm
From: 'P. swanson' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] OT Monarchs
My daughter (adult) raises them from the single egg they lay on the underside of milkweed leaves, and she grows milkweed to feed them. She takes the eggs inside (on the leaf) to keep them from being eaten. More seem to make it to caterpillars this way. She feeds them till they form a chrysalis, and then releases them when they hatch. She has a few aquariums or small-animal cages with screened tops where they can attach themselves when it’s time. She hatches a lot of them and they get released often during the summer.
I think more people are doing this now. It really gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
Penny

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<02F86030-6199-4623-A460-4E6056109517...>

Join us on Facebook!