Date: 8/27/19 12:17 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach-Better Later On Tuesday 8-27-19
Hello Bird People,

Not much to see at 1st but 10 min after Bob H & Ted W left in came one
AVOCET. It was flushed 3 times (by Gulls, the beach cleaner & a
Cooper's Hawk ) but then it settled down for the next 2 hours. Finally
at about 10 a.m. the Avocet stared calling & then flew up to greet 3
more AVOCETS that came flying in. All 4 were still there until 10:30
a.m. when I left.

The Avocets all were feeding in the fluddle (Lake Montrose) along with
2 Lesser Yellowlegs which were also late arrivals. Also present were 4
Killdeer, 1 Spotted Sandpiper (Dunes), Sanderling (2) & 4 Semipalmated
Sandpipers & 1 or 2 Least Sandpiper(s). We saw no Piping Plovers while
I was there.

Gulls were ~120 Ring Billed & 2 Herring. It was a good day for Terns
as well as 1 Caspian was hunting, 11-12 FORSTER'S were flying north of
the beach & 1 BLACK TERN landed briefly on the beach & then flew off.

The final highlight was a juvie HORNED LARK 1st on the beach & then
the lawn. Michael F was with for that one & has photos. If you've ever
seen a very young Horned Lark you know that is not an easy I.D. Jeff
B & Tamima were with for all the Terns.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Black Tern which, at least this year, is a
rarer bird than the Avocets at Montrose. Runners-Up to the Avocets,
the Forster's Terns & the strange looking Horned Lark.

Managed to get very dizzy for a while causing Howard B to worry enough
to go for help but all I needed was to sit down for a while & soon all
was well. Probably just a lack of water which I often have to deal
with. Interesting day!

Al Stokie
On the Chicago Lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>