Date: 8/27/19 10:21 am
From: <mresch8702...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Moving to North Carolina, Thanks for the Memories
After 26 years in New England I’m retiring to the mountains of western North Carolina.  I’ve had a great time birding throughout the region, and greatly appreciate all the help provided by Massachusetts birders.  Some of my fondest memories in MA include –
Birding nearly the entire state from east to west – from Race Point and the Yellow-billed Loon on 3/7/16 (with 4 loon species in the same binocular field), to Great Barrington and the Allen’s Hummingbird on 11/7/12, accumulating 415 species along the way
White-tailed Tropicbird and Sooty Tern at Quabbin Reservoir on 8/28/11 after the passage of Hurricane Irene
Adult Ivory Gull at Gloucester on 1/18/09 right after a snowstorm – the Gull was whiter than the new-fallen snow
Red-footed Falcon on 8/14/04 on Martha’s Vineyard with hundreds of other birders
And a Pepperell yard list of 143 species featuring rarities like Summer Tanager, Cerulean Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Acadian Flycatcher and Wheatear.
Now I’m looking forward to learning more about the birds of the mountains of NC and beyond.  Afterall, just like New England, there are a lot of states nearby - SC and TN are just short drives away.  One species I’m especially looking forward to learning about is the Swainson’s Warbler that breeds in the mountainous rhododendron thickets – I’ve never seen them in that habitat.
Also now that I’m retired from my 9-to-5 job, I’m starting a bird guiding company - 50 States Birding.   I’m putting my knowledge of birding in all 50 states to use in providing two guiding options:

1.  Traditional guiding services where I accompany birders in the field to help find target species or in general bird an area that is new to them.
2.  A unique research-based service where I provide birders with customized information to help them bird an area on their own.  In this lower-cost option I use on-line research supplemented with my own personal knowledge of the area to identify birding sites that best meet the client’s objectives.  Then for each site I provide a downloadable PDF including maps, lists of expected species, tips to find key species, and general suggestions on how to bird each site.
(sorry for the commercial)
If your travels take you to the mountains of western NC, or places nearby, send me an e-mail – perhaps we could bird together (Swainson’s Warbler anyone?)  Plus I can catch up on all those rarities I’ve missed back in New England.

Mike Resch <reschmike1...> www.statebirding.blogspot.com Hendersonville, NC

Join us on Facebook!