Date: 8/27/19 9:30 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (26 Aug 2019) 1 Raptors

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 08:13:19 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (26 Aug 2019) 1 Raptors

Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 1 60 60

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 15:00:00 Total
observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Ted Mara

Visitors:
Ted Mara was a welcome observer
Daryl Turik stopped by twice.
The visitors were a trickle but a larger than normal
number of people who either knew what we were doing and wanted updates
or found out about our site and will, I'msure, join us again
in September.
Also there was a friend of Tom Pirro whose name, I admit, was lost in my
head before I got back to pen and paper...Apology rendered but thanks for
your camping stories, etc.!

Weather:
Watch was 8am-3pm EST 420 minutes
Wind at start was from NE at 5 mph (8 kph) with a few light gusts to
12(19). Then thru noon a 3-8 mph
(5-13 kph) breeze, also NE, which lessened after noon
to 0-5(0-8) and gradually shifted to NNE and E by end of the watch.
Final 2 hours wind barely 3mph (5 kph).
Temps started at 50F (10C) and gradually peaked by 1pm
at 60F(15.6C) and tailed slightly in last hour to 57(14).
Cloud cover less than 1% slowly increased to 10% at 1pm and tailed to 5%
in last hour. High cumulus only.
Visibility of 15 miles (25km) was constant, as was the
barometric pressure (30.26). Humidity was 62% and slowly dropped to 49% by
closing time.

Raptor Observations:
Only 1 migrating raptor today... but at least it was a pleasure to have
an immature BE appear in north at 10:40. The bird glided straight
towards the hill, went
low under the treeline and immediately rode the updraft on east side of
our hill RIGHT in front of us. Our best
guess was 'subadult I' with patchy white blotches on
both top and bottom of the wings and a dark throat and
cheek. Also, the trailing edges of wings were quite
uneven with new and old feathers competing for space.
We did have many good looks as eagle circled up to
great height, drifted thru the sun and then set out in
a long, straight line until disappearing far in the SW.
Second day in a row that a solo raptor went 'thru-the
-sun'. Would appreciate if they would cut that out or,
even better, if they started coming in groups! Locals:
Adult BE rose up to our north for a few minutes and
then dropped straight down.
TV 4; RT only 2.

Non-raptor Observations:
Raven 1; Cedar Waxwing perched in The Snag (you know!)
Sparrows feeding in distance -- maybe 8.

Predictions:
Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming south
around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!