Date: 8/27/19 5:59 am
From: Mundi Smithers <amen1farm...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Westminster Station Nighthawk count
Mysterious they are! And fickle too! In 2017, here in North Pownal, I counted thirty plus while sitting out on my front porch. At first I was flummoxed as to what was flying right over the roof of our house swooping and circling for insects at that time of day/evening. As soon as I put the binoculars on one it was obvious that they were Nighthawks on the move. I watched for them on subsequent ‘evenings’ to no avail.
Last year I watched as well and didn’t see a one. Last evening I happened to be back out on the front porch and they flew over in serious, for me, numbers. I counted close to fifty. We are just about a mile from the Hoosic River, perhaps that figures into the equation?

Mundi
North Pownal

Sent from my iPad

The greatest tragedy in mankind’s entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C Clarke 1917 - 2008

> On Aug 27, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Thomas Berriman <blackpoll...> wrote:
>

> One of the great mysteries of that Common Nighthawk migration that shows up
> in Westminster Station this time of year is how they avoid Essex County to
> the north (with at least 50 miles of shoreline of the same river). I've
> spent 8 evenings since August 15th (hours between 4pm & 7pm) checking
> locations including the Victory Basin where there have been 3 or 4 reports
> in past years with not one nighthawk sighting. True, I can't be at several
> locations at one time each night but now it has become a puzzle that must be
> solved. After last's nights report from Don Clark, I will try just one more
> night and pick a location along the river and try one more time. But my
> guess is there is some kind of 'black hole' in Essex County that the birds
> must fly very high over or around to escape. It certainly isn't for lack of
> insects! The variety and abundance of insects must be particularly good at
> Westminster Station when they drop back down into Windham County. On a
> positive note while sitting at Damon's Crossing one evening I did see for 20
> seconds the first Northern Harrier of the year for Essex County, a male..but
> he quickly escaped by flying below the radar of that 'black hole'.
>

> The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.
>

> Tom Berriman
>
> 802-626-9071
>

> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/>