Date: 8/27/19 4:10 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 5 5

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Rick Mulrooney

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Rick Mulrooney
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny-Partly Sunny (0-50% cloud cover), Ceiling -30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 75 - 67F, Winds East @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (3) and Turkey Vultures (24).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Driving by Wilson Road Ponds today, I saw only Killdeer, Green Heron and
three American Kestrels.
<BR><BR>
Further along my commute to Bucktoe, I decided to stop at the Polo Fields.
I pass right by it. I am still awaiting my first non-Killdeer
“sandpiper” species here this fall. Shorebird species fond of grass
fields [colloquially dubbed, “grasspipers”] – American Golden-Plover,
Black-bellied Plover, Pectoral Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, White-rumped
Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpipers,
Wilson’s Snipe, and certainly Killdeer, among them – have a propensity
to stop, rest and feed on this habitat. Most of these birds have been
found here in the past; several other species, too [a Wilson’s Phalarope
during a storm, comes to mind]. Many found by me on these quick visits;
sometimes in high numbers. You just never know when something unusual
will drop in during migration, right? Today, I only saw 146 Killdeer.
Something unusual is soon to arrive here. I feel it…
<BR><BR>
Once at Bucktoe, I found Cedar Waxwings feeding on the pokeberry at the
feeder area. Can one ever see enough of these beautiful birds? At 4:10,
at least two Barred Owls began hooting. Shortly thereafter and for the
third day in a row, COMMON RAVENS were heard. Rick arrived just as the
third one called in the distance. Rick had the great foresight to bring
soft pretzels along; sharing them with me. Somehow he knew that gifts of
food and drink are not only welcome, but encouraged here at beautiful
Bucktoe. I wonder how he knew? He must be psychic. He also brought suet
for our birds. Thanks, Rick!
<BR><BR>
It was a rather good butterfly day, too, with lots of Monarchs, American
Lady, Sachem, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, and Red
Admiral, among the 11 species seen.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Barred Owls, Common Nighthawks, Blue Grosbeak, and
Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 30, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye,
Red-spotted Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, Sachem, Red Admiral, American
Lady. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.72; Steps:
11,084; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season:
56
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Barred Owl and Baltimore Oriole.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks to be a bit dreary with cloudy skies and light
winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: