Date: 8/26/19 6:56 pm
From: August Mirabella <am4birds1...>
Subject: Peace Valley Park (IBA) -8/21-8/26 Highlights
All,
The weather change finally brought some passerine migration, although no
large numbers were reported at Peace Valley.
2 Pied-billed Grebe 8/26
1 Least Sandpiper 8/25 plus probably three more flybys 8/26
1 Red Phalarope-8/26 photos. 6th Peace Valley report going back to Dec.
1978. Other than one May spring report, and now this one in summer, all
others were Oct., Nov., and Dec. First assumed to be a Red-necked by me
Wasted too much time taking pictures and calling birders before my phone
battery died and didn't want go for a shorebird book and lose site of it
before others arrived. That's my excuse. It was correctly ID'd by Devich
Farbotnik.
1 Laughing Gull imm. still present 8/26 at the dam walkway.
Lesser Black-backed Gull-high report 12 8/25
Caspian Tern-high report 7 8/23 plus others including 2 8/26
Great Egret -high report 10 8/26 with a few each day
Bald Eagle- an imm. bird has joined the local adults.
E. Kingbird- high report 19 8/22 (17 were at the gravel lot area off Creek
Rd.near the dam)
3 Orchard Orioles 8/22-8/23
1 White-eyed Vireo 8/25
2 Yellowthroated Vireo 1st report this fall 8/26
10 warbler species including:
1 N. Waterthrush 8/15 (Omitted from my last post) and one 8/26 along
Habitat Trail
2 Golden-winged Warblers 8/23 (1 adult female, 1 probably juv.) and the
ad. female again 8/24 (photo)-Habitat Trail, Persimmon Pond, and Cool Pool
Path
1 Kentucky Warbler 8/25 at bird blind
2 Blackburnian Warbler -1st report this fall 8/23 Also, 8/26
Chestnut-sided Warbler-1st report this fall 8/23; high report 4 8/26
Canada Warbler -1st report this fall 8/23; 2 8/24

Carolina Chickadee and Tufted Titmice were seen eating spotted lantern fly.
Wings found on the ground indicate birds may be benefiting from this new
food source. Obviously, the long term is not good if these aliens expand
and kill many trees.

Thanks to all who reported their sightings.

August Mirabella
North Wales, PA

Join us on Facebook!