Date: 8/26/19 4:41 pm
From: Sue <2birdvt...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] rescue of a hummingbird
I too have had the thrill of a hummer rescue. A friend called to say she had a hummer on her porch and it wasn't finding its way out. So I went down and observed this tiny bird up high at a small window. A ladder was secured and I climbed up to the bird and slowly brought my hand towards the trapped bird. As I enclosed my hand about the hummer she relaxed and I took her outside and released her. Off she went free as a bird!
Sue Wetmore

Sent from my iPod

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 12:48 PM, Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>
> I had an extraordinary and touching experience this morning. I went out to the garden for the morning harvest, and as I stood picking cakes I heard an odd whirring noise close by. There was an immature Ruby-throated Hummingbird caught in the mesh fencing of the garden, his bill and head inside the garden and the rest of his tiny self outside. It took only a second or two to free him, but all the while he made a high almost singing noise that I didn’t know hummers could make.
> I am SO happy that I went into the garden then, rather than a few hours from now, and still touched and delighted that I - for a second - held a hummingbird and was able to set it free.
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Join us on Facebook!