Date: 8/26/19 2:01 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Santa Cruz - Live Oak Beach
Hi all,

First message to the group after reading yours for some time. Thanks to
Phil for getting the message board back up and running.

Today around lunchtime I observed a dozen first arrival SURFBIRDS foraging
on the rock shelf below 18th Ave in Live Oak. They were joined by a few
BLACK TURNSTONES and ten WHIMBRELS which have both been regular in the area
over the past few weeks. Recently I have also observed half a dozen
KILLDEER, a few MARBLED GODWITS, two WESTERN SANDPIPERS, one LEAST
SANDPIPER, and one SEMIPALMATED PLOVER around the Corcoran Lagoon outlet on
Live Oak beach. The water level in the lagoon is much higher than at this
time last year and the lack of accessible mudflat and reed bed habitats is
pushing birds out onto the beach where unfortunately they are more exposed
to dogs and people. Within the lagoon itself, there have been as many as
twenty RED-NECKED PHALAROPES in the past few days, as well as our regular
SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

The news of the day, however, is actually from last night, when I heard
what I believe to be a COMMON NIGHTHAWK flying overhead around 10pm. I am
fairly certain of the ID as I spent an hour afterwards comparing calls of
more regular birds and was not able to find a closer match. I assume this
is an off-course migrant, so I would be very curious to know if anyone in
the southeastern parts of the county sees a nighthawk in the coming days.
Read more about what I observed last night
here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59269714

If anyone has any other ideas of what this may have been, let me know. I
probably researched 40 or 50 other species and couldn't come up with
anything.

Happy birding!

Liam