Date: 8/26/19 12:10 pm
From: Joe Roller <jroller9...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] The New Chatfield State Park, Jeffco and Douglas counties
"Chatfield" has gone through three stages:
Stage I, starting in geologic time, long ago, through 1975, when the dam
was built and the reservoir
began to fill.
Stage II, from 1975 when water was impounded and the lake filled, until the
recent disruptive engineering changes began, aka the "Reallocation
Project". Those will be recalled as "the golden years" with much more
habitat for birds than ever before.
Stage III, from completion of that project until some other project comes
along.

When I moved to Denver in 1974 I strolled along the S Platte River upstream
of the looming dam, through what would become the bottom of a big
reservoir, dry shod, through dry farmland with a few buildings. No lake, no
shore, scant habitat, not much, just the river.
I love Chatfield SP and the habitat that the dam and reservoir created, but
try to keep in mind that BEFORE
there was a reservoir, there was a small river through dry land. Things
change. I asked Thompson Marsh what
he thought about the dam and the reservoir, and he observed, "When people
move to Colorado, they like to
have a drink of water and a flush toilet when they arrive." He recognized
the reality of the situation.

My two cents,
Joe Roller, Denver