Date: 8/26/19 11:23 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Status Report From Techny North & Air Station Prairie Monday 8-26-19
Hello Bird People,

This is not a regular report but just to let you know the shorebird
status at the above mentioned locations. Techny North is completely
flooded with no mud flats visible. Even the sticks that the Cormorants
like to sit on are under water. Give this place a few days. And since
Techny Basin had high water even before this rain give that place some
time as well.

But as Air Station Prairie was bone dry before the rain has helped a
little here. The east pond still only has 2 small puddles of water but
the west pond has more standing water & also some shorebirds for the
1st time in a while,

Techny North

Green Heron, Black Crowned Night Heron & D.C. Cormorant (1 each)
Wood Duck (8) & Mallard (10)
The only shorebird was a "heard only" Killdeer

Air Station Prairie

Killdeer (1), Solitary Sandpiper (7), Spotted Sandpiper (heard 1) &
Least Sandpiper (10)
Lots of Red Wings & Starlings in large flocks.

Old Business

Since Walter M did not do an IBET report from the 2nd Sewage Pond trip
I will briefly say that we only had 8 species of shorebirds & the only
interesting one was a juvie RUDDY TURNSTONE found by Jill A. The other
shorebird species were Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Spotted,
Least, Semipalmated & Pectoral Sandpipers. No Semipalmeted Plovers &
no Baird's which we usually see. With last Sunday's rain out the
Sewage Pond trips were a bit of a disappointment this year. Maybe next
year.

After the Sewage Ponds trip several of us went to look for the Red
Knot at 63rd Street but like some others we didn't find it. So if you
didn't go early like Jim J you lost.

Bird-Of-The-Day yesterday to the young Ruddy Turnstone.

Al Stokie
In Cook County yesterday & today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: