Date: 8/26/19 9:31 am
From: Kumaran Arul <karul2...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Younger Lagoon
Yesterday evening, Younger Lagoon (west side Santa Cruz) had a large flock of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, along with a circling mixed flock of LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS. Only other shorebirds I could find at high tide was a swimming DOWITCHER (looked to be LONG-BILLED, from distance). Also present were two female NORTHERN PINTAILS with the MALLARDS. Also of note was a HY BROWN HEADED COWBIRD being fed by a SONG SPARROW near the overlook by the marine lab. The fog over the ocean prevented distant views, but I could not see any Elegant Terns, or shearwaters on a brief check.
Kumaran Arul
Santa Cruz, CA