Date: 8/26/19 9:25 am
From: Fran Perler <franpix15...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Ida Giriunas
I had the honor of assisting Ida on the last BBC trip she led to Machias Seal Island, July 2019. She reminisced about doing Machias trips for over 40 years! Her passion for birding never wained. Illness slowed her down, but she maintained her enthusiasm and laser focus. We spent hours planning every detail despite how easily she tired. Ida prepared her famous multi-page instructions and expected the participants to absorb every detail. Machias Seal Island was perfect in any ways - extremely calm waters, sun and overwhelming numbers of active Puffins, Murres, Razorbills and even a Northern Gannet. She birded on as best as she could, undaunted by her challenges. How happy I am to have been able to ensure that she enjoyed the experience.

I first met Ida as a new birder on a BBC trip 10 years ago. My memories of her will always include how kind she was to us newbies, never giving up until we got the bird, and her memorable descriptions of field marks - I can’t look at an American Wigeon without smiling about the white handkerchief in its pocket. Then there was her classic iPod broadcasting bird calls, especially her cacophony track that always produced the birds.

Maggie Peretto said it best, ‘Soar free Ida. It was my pleasure to have shared some birding experiences with you.’

Fran Perler
Brookline
<FranPix15...>

Join us on Facebook!