Date: 8/26/19 8:53 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (25 Aug 2019) 11 Raptors

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 19:27:13 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (25 Aug 2019) 11 Raptors

Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 11 59 59

Observation start time: 09:30:00 Observation end time: 15:30:00 Total
observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Darryl Tureq, Susan Williamson

Visitors:
The 1100-1200 visitors (Ranger's estimate) were,
except for hikers, frequently chilled but still happy
with the views. All raptor-related questions were answered. One man from
California asked which raptor
kept attacking him back home. Said I could only guess it might be a
Northern Goshawk? "I have lots of pictures on my phone" he responded. Yup,
he had lots of photos of
Mr. & Mrs. NG!

Weather:
Watch was 9:30am-3:30pm (EST, not DST!) 360 minutes
Winds from NE all day with a few momentary swings to ENE. Wind speed was
basically 3-10 mph/5-16 kph all day; gusts to 20m/32k in first and last
half hours. The bummer: all but one of the migrating raptors appeared
before Susan arrived or just after she left. One good thing: she spotted
the SS at 11:23am! Cloud cover was 50% until 1pm then spiked to 65%
before dropping in last
1.5 hours to 15%. Like yesterday the cumulus clouds were high above us and
didn't impact the good thermal lift. No birds (except occasional local TVs)
took advantage of updrafts from our hill.
Visibility great: 15 mi./24 km. all day. Thru haze you could still find
Boston & Mt. Greylock.

Raptor Observations:
BW 6: 1 ad., 1 imm. at 9:43 from NE passed close to
summit on north side before the left turn SW. Four more
wings followed same route at 10:12 except not as close to me.
RT 1. A straight-line trip from Gap Mt. (NNE) to the SW at a very quick
pace. It's only August but feel that
all protocols were certainly met. Bye-bye at 9:52.
SS 1 ("Ss, Susan's sharpie) found to SE and came much closer and flew
"thru the sun" before passing on the south side while
moving west, then made the turn SW at 11:23.
OS 3 at 3:25 followed similar route, though not quite
as close. Appeared to be 1 adult female tailed by 2 immature birds.

Local raptors: TV 8; RT 3; Ch 1, SS 1.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Ravens 7; Hummingbirds: 3 together put on a great
show 'playing tag'in their brief 45 seconds appearance.
Dragonfly 1, feeding.
Monarch 1 in the 1 o'clock hr.

Predictions:
(Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 50. North wind 6 to 11 mph.)
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 72. NE wind 6-9 mph.

Yeah .. I'll give that a shot! (Temp will not be 72 on
above the treeline, though.)
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!