Date: 8/26/19 4:50 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Aug 2019) 3 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 3 5 5

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (22): Jerry Jeffers, Susan Jeffers, Sabena Boekell, Lana Glass,
Margie Cummings, Cathy Huneke, Pete Zeigler, Scott Northey, Fran DeMillion,
Laureen Eick-Benson, Walter Borys, Kris Benarcik, Bob & Allison Kennedy,
Scott Beveridge, Donna Kipphorn, Lois Bryman, Jim Green, Rodger Bovenkerk,
Howard & Kitty Campbell
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (25-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 69 - 75F, Winds North @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (14) and Turkey Vultures (22).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On August 22, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
August 25 -- A busy day starts with our regular Sunday morning walk at
Bucktoe. It was a S-L-O-W morning; hardly any movement or call notes.
The morning was saved by the finding of two Black-billed Cuckoos [my FOY].
The second one spoiled us with close looks of it feeding on Fall Webworms
being picked out of their “nest.”
<BR><BR>
Twelve people saw 42 species highlighted by Black-billed Cuckoos, Bald
Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawks, Blue Grosbeak, Veery, American Redstart,
Bobolinks, and as I left to get coffee, Sharp-shinned Hawks.
<BR><BR>
I stayed for my Nighthawk Watch because…well, because that’s just the
kinda guy I am. Winds were fairly strong from the Northeast and birds were
in the air; my first migrant Sharp-shinned Hawks, a bit early, among them.
The West Chester Bird Club had a trip out to visit the Nighthawk Watch this
evening. On top of ALL THAT, my friends Jerry & Susan are coming to watch
for Nighthawks and to cook and eat dinner right here with me. That’s a
full day in my book! “Grillmaster Jerry’s” masterpiece was the best
ever [see picture]! I don’t have to tell Jerry that gifts of food and
drink [especially, when exquisitely prepared steak in person], are not only
welcomed, but to be encouraged here at Bucktoe! The club members arrived,
and we all watched for Nighthawks. The effort was in vain until 7:30 when
Common Nighthawks began to appear; nine in all. A couple of Blue Grosbeaks
were icing on the cake.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Black-billed Cuckoo, Common Nighthawks, COMMON RAVEN, Blue Grosbeaks, and
Bobolinks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 100, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye,
Red-spotted Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red Admiral, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (1): American Toad. Mammals
(5): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Red
Fox, Raccoon.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.78; Steps:
6,508; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season:
54
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):”
Black-billed Cuckoo, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Carolina Chickadee, Red-winged
Blackbird, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks pretty good, with lots of clouds and light
easterly winds. Expecting large rush of Nighthawks
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek