Date: 8/25/19 2:39 pm
From: Cliff Cook <ccook13...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Delaney WMA: Pied Billed Grebe, Great Egret, Green Winged Teal
I led a BBC trip with 4 other birders this morning at Delaney Wildlife
Management Area in Stow & Bolton. Highlights included several flocks of
Green Winged Teal that flew across the pond right after we arrived, a
distant Pied Billed Grebe and three Great Egrets that dropped in shortly
before the end of the trip. Also notable were the large number of
Kingbirds (a flock of 11!) and Phoebes and the relative absence of
woodpeckers and raptors. We parked at the boat ramp on Harvard Road then
walked around the pond in the woods and fields. We then drove down the
Garner Road overlook over the marsh.

Cliff Cook
Watertown

Delaney WMA, Worcester, Massachusetts, US
Aug 25, 2019 7:04 AM - 12:19 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
52 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 7
Mute Swan 4
Wood Duck 25 Careful count. Group of at least 12 in back marsh.
Mallard 18
Green-winged Teal 25 Several flocks flecw across the main pond as seen
from the boat ramp. Small ducks. Green speculum. Lacked head pattern of
Wood Duck and smaller than Mallard. Several later relocated at back marsh
off Garner Road entrance
Pied-billed Grebe 1 Obvious Grebe by shape and behavior. Distinctive
profile. Seen in main pond from boat ramp.
Mourning Dove 4
Chimney Swift 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Killdeer 4
Least Sandpiper 11 In marshes off Garner Road entrance.
peep sp. 6 Probably all Least Sandpiper but unsure
Double-crested Cormorant 7
Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 3 Unexpected. At boat ramp.
Turkey Vulture 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 4
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4
Eastern Phoebe 14
Eastern Kingbird 21 Careful count. Staging for migration. 11 in one
flock.
Blue Jay 10
American Crow 2
Common Raven 1