Date: 8/25/19 8:48 am
From: Nate Swick <nswick...>
Subject: Re: carolinabirds Digest Sun, 25 Aug 2019
In my capacity as chair of the NC Bird Records Committee, I am working with
the observer to get something to us that the committee can vote on. I think
the record is compelling and the photo is certainly interesting. The
observers are novice birders and they clearly noted that this was something
different and used the internet as a resource to identify it. This is a
good thing.

That's all I have to say about this specific record, though if Will Cook
will allow me a little bit of self-indulgence I would like to point folks
to a conversation Birding magazine editor Ted Floyd and I had with regard
to the pitfalls of expertise on the American Birding Podcast, which I host.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__podcasts.apple.com_us_podcast_03-2D15-2Dwhere-2Dexpertise-2Dfalls-2Dshort_id1186824033-3Fi-3D1000445284767&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=JaeQA8yrzTDzwvoLbg0UaizhljK-M2fNnH8FsHh1b64&s=yLGGjCs0Pwtp3uFB25yRz5e3cl70au5MWUyFdVyLChY&e=

Nate Swick
Greensboro, NC

Join us on Facebook!