Date: 8/25/19 8:29 am
Subject: Re: carolinabirds Digest Sun, 25 Aug 2019
I too was taken aback by the comments in that email. I'm a fairly new
birder and just started reading Kenn Kaufman's *Field Guide to Advanced
Birding*. The below text is from page 17 of that book, captioned, Expert
Birders and Their Responsibility to Beginners. I absolutely loved that Kenn
addressed this topic, and what he said is ultimately crucial to bird
conservation. Please take the time to read this!

“With increasing numbers of birders gathering at popular spots, and with
the explosive growth of online communication and networking, there are also
far more contacts between experts and beginners than at any time in the
past. I believe that experts have a responsibility to handle these contacts
with care and diplomacy, to avoid dampening the enthusiasm of the beginning
bird watchers. The fact is that there are literally tens of millions of
people in North America who enjoy birds at a casual level and who will
never become highly skilled birds - and there is no reason why they should.
Their approach is just as legitimate as the interest of the most ardent
field ornithologist, and their casual enjoyment deserves our respect.”

“Unfortunately, some expert birders lose sight of this. They insist that
every newcomer to birding should move in the direction of increasing their
skill level, that every beginner should start off with advanced references
and learn to use them. This attitude - of teaching people to swim by
throwing everyone into the deep end of the pool - has predictably bad
results. I’ve met many people who were tempted to give up birding
altogether after run-ins with well-intentional but foolish “experts.” We
need those millions of people who simply like birds. We need millions of
perpetual beginners who value our wildlife and who support conservation
efforts. In the larger perspective, broad support for conservation is far
more important than accurate field identification, and a truly advanced
birder will never do anything to discourage the casual bird enthusiasts.” Kenn
Kaufman's *Field Guide to Advanced Birding*

Mariann Ramsayer

Apex, NC

Join us on Facebook!