Date: 8/25/19 6:16 am
Subject: Re: carolinabirds Digest Sun, 25 Aug 2019
"1) the observer to complete a Rare Bird Report form, to let us know more
about what she saw. It is clear she is not a birder, had no idea what a
Lazuli Bunting was, and of course Chaffinch is a foreign word. Thus, we
have no idea from Facebook comments if she had looked at photos of Common
Chaffinch, to say "yes" or "no" to that. She did say "yes" to Lazuli after
she had seen online photos, but ….."

I was excited to read the “buzz” and learn about this possible Lazuli
Bunting. I was hopeful that Steve Howell, with whom I had the privilege of
birding once at Howell Woods (he helped me find my first prothonotary and
hooded warblers years ago), would find it and document it in good photos.
But I have to say, Mr. Legrand, I find your words deeply offensive. Clearly
by your standards, whatever they are, you would say I am not a birder. But
I hope that Kevin Karlson, Glenn Crawford, Angel Abreu and some of the
other fabulous guides, authors and ornithology experts (some of whom I
birded with during spring migration on the shores of Lake Erie) would tell
you differently. I hope that some of the local people - Brian Pendergraft
(thank you for helping me shift my passion into high gear), Erla Beegle,
John Gerwin, John Connors, Susan Campbell, Lucas Bobay, Jim Capel and the
list goes on - would tell you I am a passionate and committed birder. My
neighbors and friends for sure will describe me as such. Just the other
night at religious services I was greeted with, “ah, the bird lady.” (Way
better than crazy cat lady IMHO.) Can I identify everything I see? NO. Do I
know every bird there is to know? NO (I did not know what a Lazuli Bunting
was.) Do I know all the terminology? No. Do I know all the right ways to
report things? No. Do I want to be a part of important record keeping and
reporting for our state? YES. Do I care about bird conservation?
Absolutely. Am I personally involved in bird conservation? Yes. And that,
sir, is why you want to to be inclusive and helpful to those of us who
don’t know everything there is to know about birding and reporting vs.
being off putting, offensive and holier than thou. To paraphrase Jack
Nicholson, YOU WANT ME ON THAT TEAM. YOU NEED ME ON THAT TEAM. This is not
a hobby or passion to keep only for the select few. If that’s the case, our
beautiful birds will surely suffer the consequences.

*Pam Diamond*

*Cary, NC *

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 6:00 AM <carolinabirds-request...> wrote:

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!