Date: 8/24/19 9:19 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Aug 2019) 2 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 2 2 2

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Gerry Teig, Laura Wagner

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Laura Wagner, Beaty Broughton, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (25-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,0000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 77 - 69F, Winds North @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (3) and Turkey Vultures (7).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Aug. 22, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
I just love my ride into “work” at Bucktoe, as I shared with you in an
essay last year. It never grows old the entirety of the former King Ranch.
I made a couple of stops as I made my way..
<BR><BR>
Wilson Rd. Pond was low; the edges held Killdeer, Green Herons, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, while a Kestrel and 9 Meadowlarks were seen in
the nearby meadow. There were no Bobolinks. They are migrating now.
<BR><BR>
Further along, a passing look at the Polo Fields revealed only 12 Killdeer,
today.
<BR><BR>
I arrived at Bucktoe hours early and opted for a walk to “Warbler
Meadows.” I found none of consequence of the meadow’s namesake, but
“Olive-sided flycatcher snag” produced, guess what? An OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER! This place, and THAT exact spot, are uncanny for producing
this rare species. We get several during each spring and fall migration
– right there! Laura arrived just after that excitement and the bird
could not be relocated before she had to leave. She had news of a friend
who has had a brain injury that she’s going to introduce to our lovely
Bucktoe this fall. Laura knows her friend and I would have that
life-altering experience in common. She’s has also been
“babysitting” a couple of Red-headed Woodpeckers on Cambridge Rd. near
her Honeybrook home. This stunning woodpecker is still there – a couple
of them [LW].
<BR><BR>
At 5:20 pm, a southbound American Kestrel became our first migrating
“raptor” for the 2019 fall season. It was to be a beautiful sky with
lots of white, billowy clouds for a backdrop. I sure hope the Nighthawks
don’t waste this opportunity to be seen. Three COMMON RAVENS flew
swiftly right past “the Watch,” croaking constantly. Beaty and Gerry
were here to help scan the skies for Nighthawks. It was looking as if we
were going to miss them, when at 7:53 – about 4 minutes sooner than
yesterday – Common Nighthawks began showing up, darting and swooping for
insects close to our south. It was fantastic watching ten of these birds
that close. They are among my favorite species.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Wood Duck, Common Nighthawks, COMMON RAVENS, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and
Bobolinks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye,
Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red
Admiral. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.63; Steps:
3,837; Floors: 3.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season:
49
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (11):”
Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Black Vultures, Turkey Vultures, Bald Eagle,
American Kestrel, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, Eastern Phoebe, COMMON RAVENS,
Northern Mockingbird, and Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks spectacular,