Date: 8/24/19 7:34 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (24 Aug 2019) Raptors

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 17:59:59 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (24 Aug 2019) Raptors

Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1

Total: 0 48 48

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 14:30:00 Total
observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: George Russell

Visitors:
Observer George Russell arrived shortly before me and
stayed to the end -- hope for a late flight was never
mentioned ... but we've both seen them! Also assisting
was Daryl Turik.
As expected the hill was covered with hikers, dogs and
an afternoon wave of others who all were thinking how
beautiful a day to be looking across most of our state.

Weather:
Watch was 8am-2:30pm (EST, not DST!) 390 minutes
* Nearly an ideal day if this was mid-September.*
Winds N at start at 3-8 mph/4.8-12.9 kph with a few gusts 10-12
mph/16-19 kph in the first hour. Wind speed was the same, minus the
gusts, for rest of the day. Direction shifted slightly hour by hour: NE,ENE,
NE, N at noon then NE from 1-2:30.
Barometric pressure crept from 30.16-30.12 during the day. Humidity,
however, started at 62-63% for 2 hrs. before dropping rapidly to 51%
from 10am-11am and then
remained there until I left at 2:30 EST.The drop was in
the 1 hr. with ENE winds but I've no knowledge about why!
Visibility was best I've seen so far this August at 40 mi./64 km. all day.
The cloud cover advanced from 5% at start thru 11am then picked up pace
from 40% at noon to 80% at 2pm.
The morning saw rows of tiny cumulus clouds, high in altitude, mostly
far west and north.In the afternoon some larger cumulus
rolled in from the east and south. Altitude, though, remained high and
thermal lift
was not diminished... like I said, if only we could have some September
days like this!

Raptor Observations:
Another Zero in the migration tally. Hawks just need a little more time
to get here. The GOOD NEWS?:
Clarry Hill did counts yesterday and today totaling 108 migrants with 66
BW's! Even Cadillac Mtn. found 10 BW's in today's tally of 44 migrating
birds!

Local raptors: TV 10, RT 9. Yup, that's it. The local Cooper's hawks and
Bald Eagles were no-shows today.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Raven 4; Cedar Waxwing 6 spotted by ski lift.
Many (100?) swallows remained distant but were successfully bug-hunting all
day.
Dragonfly 1; Monarch 0.

Predictions:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72.
Northeast wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
I might skip the 1st hour or 2 tomorrow -- just to give those Clarry Hill
birds time to reach us. If you join, bring extra clothing. It was
'coolish' today above the
treeline and we didn't have 22 mph gusts!
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!