Date: 8/24/19 5:35 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Ano Nuevo today
Hi Birders!

A NORTHERN FLICKER male called a number of times from perches in trees near
the parking lot. Lots of BROWN PELICANS and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were
enjoying the pond today. Only a couple of PELAGIC CORMORANTS on a
guano-covered cliff that appeared to have had many at one point. There was
a juvenile WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW and a few scruffy adults. I heard one
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and a number of WRENTITS. Scads of EUROPEAN STARLINGS
hopping around the elephant seals and many COMMON RAVENS and TURKEY
VULTURES. I thoroughly enjoyed observing BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS at length and
was able to see the pupil differences between male and female. There were a
half dozen BLACK TURNSTONES and one SNOWY EGRET. One large juvenile WESTERN
GULL begged relentlessly, but was ignored by the annoyed adult, who flew
off only to be stalked.

On the beach there were a couple of CASPIAN TERNS early in the day, but
mid-day they were gone. There were many WESTERN GULLS and HEERMAN'S GULLS,
but of particular interest was a pretty little gull with a black beak -
much smaller than the other gulls and keeping to itself. I do not know what
it is. Please assist!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisafay/

Happy birding!
-Lisa