Date: 8/24/19 5:19 pm
From: Meredith McBurney <Meredith.McBurney...>
Subject: [cobirds] Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Opening Day at Barr Station, 8/24/19
We had a very nice, if somewhat warm, opening morning at Barr. We started
opening nets at 6:40, and within 10 minutes had our first birds (a Western
Wood-pewee and a Northern Waterthrush, side by side in the net) and our
first visitors (a mom with her two young daughters from Thornton). LOTS of
Yellow Warblers, probably all Barr Lake breeders, looking very spiffy with
their new feathers. And 4 NOWAs, which is pretty much our quota for the
season. A total of 66 birds banded:

Western Wood-pewee 2
Black-capped Chickadee 5
House Wren 6
Yellow Warbler 35
Northern Waterthrush 4
Wilson's Warbler 9
Brewer's Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 4

We will be open 6 days per week, Tuesday-Sunday, weather permitting,
through October 13. We are opening nets at 6:40 and should have birds back
at the station by 7:20. We will close nets most days at 11:40, with some
being closed earlier as long as this heat continues. School groups arrive
most weekdays at about 9:30. The best time to visit (fewest people, most
birds) is before 9:30 weekdays and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney

Bander, Barr Lake Station

Bird Conservancy of the Rockies