Date: 8/24/19 1:34 pm
From: Carole Winslow <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Clarion Co- nighthawk watch, flight calls and fall migration
Hi All,

A few things to share, one being the nighthawk watch that Mal Hays
has been doing the past several years. started last week and I was there
last night. Not a lot of nighthawks but we did get 11 with a group of 8
rather late in the evening. Other good birds for the night included an
adult bald eagle flying low down the Clarion River (we were at the
Millcreek Boat Launch north of Clarion), an osprey that was calling and
came back over two times, a Cooper's hawk with a snake, green heron,
ravens, singing eastern wood pewee, screech owl and kingfisher. I think the
total of nighthawks for the year would now be 130.

The radar last night was excellent it appeared for migration so I was up
early and heard my first flight calls of the season, some wood thrush and
veery, as well as brown thrasher. A gorgeous morning had me wandering the
fields and woods for several hours and had lots of activity with one pocket
of warblers and pewees that was just hopping with birds, I couldn't begin
to identify everything there, just too many but had the following warblers-
black-and-white
hooded
magnolia
chestnut-sided
redstart
tons of yellowthroats
blue-winged
blackburnian

I also had tanagers, baltimore orioles, rose-breasted grosbeaks and
several pewees singing, wood thrush, brown thrashers, and lots of field
sparrows in the fields, flyover meadowlarks and bobolinks. A fantastic
morning to be out !! Fall is starting to arrive, especially when Orion is
rising in the west at dawn..
Happy early fall birding !

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co.