Date: 8/24/19 12:41 pm
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Count of Roosting Chimney Swifts at Milan City Hall tonight, Saturday, August 24

I like the last clip at that YouTube link John with the video from the inside of that nesting “tower”.  I wonder if my tower has ever hosted a visiting Swift?  At last glance, after ten years or so, not a single nest has been built nor have I ever seen it used as a roost.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 1:07 PM -0400, "John Farmer" <ajf-jlf...> wrote:

If you missed the Washtenaw County Swift Night Out and have yet to witness Chimney Swifts going to roost, you're welcome to view the phenomenon in Milan this evening.

Follow the attached map to the Library parking lot adjacent to Milan's City Offices and Police Station at 147 Wabash Street at 8:00 PM.  Ours is not a large roost (159 birds counted this past Tuesday), but should let you see avian aerial performances somewhat akin to carrier landings of Navy fighter jets at dusk by their Top-gun pilots.

This video wasn't photographed locally, but the segment from 20-30 seconds in will give you a good sense of what you may see if you drop by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7b8PpiNhJg

With living things, nothing can be guaranteed, but the birds usually call it a day within the hour centered around sunset, which for Milan is 8:22 PM today.

To learn more about the species, its current plight, and to see an interactive map that shows our Monroe County roost among others around the state, check out this Audubon website.

John

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/001c01d55a9e%244e1884e0%24ea498ea0%<24...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org