Date: 8/24/19 11:13 am
From: Paul Stensvaag <red.tail1960...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Tame Goldfinch Update...
This lovely creature is blind. While at the feeder, he perched upon my
finger and I observed the eyes closely...blindness explains 3 things to me:

#1 At the thistle feeder, he perches with one foot elevated to the feeder
while the right foot is on the perch branch itself - creating additional
balance and security.

#2 His travels are short distances only. To the Zinnias which are heavily
blooming within 12 feet of the thistle feeder, or to the White Pine or
Norway Spruce also very nearby at 14 feet away from the feeder.

#3 Travels 25 feet to the sound of the fountain that runs constantly from
May => September and must operate as a sound beacon for orientation.

I plan to keep him going safely as long as possible. Can anyone explain
the blindness? = a bittersweet, story, but lovely garden resident.

Cheers, Paul Stensvaag
NW IL, County of Cook
..

Join us on Facebook!