Date: 8/24/19 4:28 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Common Ringed Plover - Sandy Point - 8/23
I'm sharing this from ebird, and hope Suzanne Sullivan can provide more details. Thanks for reporting, Suzanne!

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Common Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula) (1)
- Reported Aug 23, 2019 06:30 by Suzanne Sullivan
- Parker River NWR, Essex, Massachusetts
- Map:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.7639008,-70.8022995&ll=42.7639008,-70.8022995
- Checklist:https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59211834
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "Putting this in as such with the understanding how tricky this id is without audio. That being said, I feel pretty confident. I studied in the scope for a while. I did not have digiscoping lens with me so had to creep up and it was not easy in the flats. Photos are cropped well. Overtime I got close it would fly and I would have to remind it, no easy task. Bird was observed at falling tide at Sandy point at the bluffs. Supercillium stood out, extended well behind eye. Shape of bird different that SEPL’s, head more steep, bill longer with a more even structure, noticeably different than SEPL’s. Assumed female. Toes appear good, little to no webbing on inner toes slight webbing on outer. No noticeable eye ring, mostly dark slight grayish color, typical. White patch pinches away from eye corner creating the dark solid lores that extend down past gape. Open wing shots show the more extensive white in wings than SEPL’s."

Join us on Facebook!