Date: 8/24/19 3:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 0

Observation start time: 13:30:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Sabrena Boekell

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Sabrena Boekell
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain - Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -30,000ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 69F, Winds North @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 1-Red-tailed Hawk
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On August 22, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
The first day of DNS’s Bucktoe Creek Preserve NIGHTHAWK WATCH is here!!
Before going into Bucktoe, I set up shop at Octoraro Reservoir. Sabrena
had beaten me in. Last night’s cold front was still coming in this
morning, resulting in overcast skies and light rain, but no birds. It was
almost cold this morning! Can you believe it? Heavy rains overnight
hadn’t flooded our mudflats. They were the same as yesterday – not
massive, but some mud; plenty for something to rest on during the storm. A
few gulls were around and suddenly with them, three Caspian Terns. Mike
showed up just in time to miss the terns, which in typical tern fashion,
quickly moved on.
Highlights today were Wood Ducks, Black Ducks, Yellow-billed Cuckoos,
Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpipers, Least
Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Double-crested Cormorants, Great
Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, American Kestrel, Ring-billed Gull,
Caspian Terns, Belted Kingfisher, and Bobolinks, at Octoraro Reservoir.
On the way to Bucktoe to start the Nighthawk Watch I stopped at the Polo
Fields. They have a propensity of producing shorebirds in storms. There
were 159 Killdeer today.
New Garden WTP at Somerset [private] had 3 Northern Shovelers [a bit of a
surprise], Wood Ducks, and Spotted Sandpipers, while the attached Somerset
Lake held NOTHING!
Finally arriving at Bucktoe, I set up for the launch of this year’s
Nighthawk Watch while the rain continued. It was certainly not the best of
days to start watching for Nighthawks. Then, at 7:57 and just 3 minutes
before I was going to leave, the season’s first Nighthawk flew by. What
do I know?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron and Common Nighthawk.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Monarch - 9, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0):
Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: .55; Steps:
1,284; Floors: 2.
<BR><BR>
Hawk Watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. Our tally board,
on site, will feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,”
– searching for Hawks must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year. The overall list for the season
from the watch will be part of the large weekly “blog,” if you’ve
signed up for that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 38; this season:
38
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (38):” all
38 - it was the first day of the watch.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks great for exceedingly early migration.
Nighthawks should be moving.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: