Date: 8/23/19 1:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Techny North & Techny Basin on Friday 8-23-19
Hello Bird People,

The Botanic Garden has some mud flats but not a lot, Techny North has
lots of mud flats & Techny Basin has no mud flats only mud edges & not
much of them. Here's my lists:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-9:15 a.m.) (Mud flats only)

D,C. Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (27), Wood Duck (3) & Mallard (7)
Killdeer (21)
Solitary (1), Spotted (1), Least (3) & Semipalmated (6) Sandpipers
Herring Gull (2-AD)
Mourning Dove (2)
Kingfisher (1-M)
Barn Swallow (10)
Red Wings (3) & Goldfinch (2)
(On the way to & from the mud flats I saw a Ruby Throated Hummer & 4
Cedar Waxwings)

Techny North (9:30-10:15 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1)
Great Blue Heron (2), Great Egret (1) & Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD & 1-IM)
Canada Goose (4), Wood Duck (31) & Mallard (34)
Red Tailed Hawk (7 soaring at the same time)
PEREGRINE (1 flying fast & low)
Semipalmated Plover (1) & Killdeer (16)
Lesser Yellowlegs (3)
Solitary (2), Spotted (6), Least (7) & Semipalmated (6) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1 flying) & Caspian Tern (1)
Mourning Dove (1 fly-by)
Barn Swallow (4)

Techny Basin (10:20-11:15 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (7) & Great Egret (5)
Wood Duck (4) & Mallard (37)
Killdeer (3)
Mourning Dove (4)
Kingfisher (1)
Land birds included Eastern Kingbird (3), Cliff (1) & Barn (12)
Swallows & a pair of Baltimore Orioles among other things.

When the Peregrine flew by I thought heard it complain that yesterday
the Peregrine seen then was not the Bird-Of-The-Day as I picked the
Osprey. So today Bird-Of-The-Day will indeed be the Peregrine so I
hope it's happy about that.
Runners-Up to the Semi-Plover, the Yellowlegs & the Oriole pair.

But the best sighting for today was a licence plate. Plate Of The Day
goes to one from VERMONT which was seen on the Edens on the way to
birding. It was #50 for the year leaving me only Hawaii still to be
seen. I won't hold my breath on that one though.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: