Date: 8/23/19 1:32 pm
From: Mitchell Nussbaum <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender acornwithteeth for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Great Egrets at Goose Pond Sanctuary - Columbia County
t (which was beautiful). I counted at least 40. It was hard to tell because some were on the other side of the trees. We also saw 3 fly in from the south. And there were about 5 Great blue herons. 2 of them were roosting on a tree next to the east pond. Also 2 Sandhill cranes digging in the mud on the west side of the west pond. 2 Pied-billed grebes on the east pond and several ducks.
- Genie OgdenMadison
On Monday, August 19, 2019, 9:20:45 PM CDT, Mark Martin <marksuemartin...> wrote:

Hi all,
This evening we noticed a good concentration of egrets roosting at the
northwest corner of the west pond.  We began counting them about 7:30 p.m.
until after sunset.  We watched from Prairie Lane and also from the hilltop
above the oak savanna which overlooks the pond. Terry and Nancy Thompson
from Poynette joined us for the count.  At least 12 egrets flew in from the
southwest and probably were not feeding at the pond before roosting.

Our high count tonight was a record 55 great egrets!  There were also 10
great blue herons or more but we were focused on counting the egrets.  The
previous high ebird count at the Goose Pond "hot spot" before this year was
10 on October 16, 2015 by Kyle Lindemer.

In March we had a record high water water level and the wetlands are still
very high with probably 180 acres flooded compared to 60 acres in the pond
in most years.  We believe the egrets and herons are feeding on salamanders
that will soon leave the water, frogs and fathead minnows.

*Mark and Susan Foote-Martin*
*W7503 Kampen Road*
*Arlington, WI 53911*
*Columbia County*