Date: 8/23/19 10:50 am
From: Sandy <sandyselesky...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Ida's passing
So sad to hear about Ida's death. I loved this wonderful woman - such an inspiration!! Don and I were on her Machias trip over 25 years ago and every time I have seen her in the past year or two I always wondered how she kept up her energy and her spark. Still leading pelagic trips and walks, still going after rarities! Her love for birds and birding is what has kept her going. I remember going to a retirement party for Janet Haywood of Mt Auburn Cemetery many years ago and hearing that Ida couldn't be there because she'd been diagnosed with leukemia. I never thought that I would see her again but time after time she recovered from her various illnesses and accidents. I remember a few years ago running into her and her friend Molly in Rowley where I went to photograph the large flock of glossy ibis that had been reported. She was of course asking me if I had picked out the White-faced Ibis there. She had recently been ill, which I was aware of, and I was so glad to see her !
there that I gave her a big hug. Of course my enthusiasm almost knocked her down but fortunately I quickly realized I needed to be more careful!! Luckily she had her canes for added support!

I will miss Ida very much as we all will!! There will never be anyone else like her!!
By the way, she has a plank on the lot 1 boardwalk with her name on it. I was there yesterday to watch the tree swallows soaring and saw it again and was thinking about her and wondering how she was. I hadn't seen the posts yet so didn't know the sad news of her passing. But another plank with a message about her love of birds might be nice!

Sandy Selesky
Westford, MA
<sandyselesky...>

Sent from my iPhone