Date: 8/23/19 10:02 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Giriunas Antarctica
Thanks to George Gove for the following post.

Barbara Volkle

Northborough, MA

<barb620...>

*

Fri, 23 Aug 2019 08:50:18 -0400

From:  <gwgove...>

Subject:  Ida Giriunas Antarctica

One of the things I remember about Ida is from an excerpt of the book
"End of the Earth: Voyages to Antarctica"  by Peter Matthiessen. This
book recounts a Victor Emanuel Nature Tours (VENT) trip from Hobart
Tasmania to Antarctica in which Ida participated. I used to have the
excerpt but I cannot find it; however, I shall recount what I remember
of it.

The first stop on the trip was at MacQuarrie Island. The procedure for
the stops on these trips was for the ship to anchor offshore and
participants would descend a ladder over the side to a platform at the
water's edge and then board a Zodiac for the trip to land.

In Ida's enthusiasm, she was the first to go down the ladder and be on
the platform. At that moment, the ship rolled toward the platform,
submerging it and Ida at least to her waist. The rest of the
participants looked on in horror and when Ida came up, all asked if she
was OK. Although Ida was wet, this had not dampened her spirits or her
enthusiasm.

George Gove
Marlboro

Join us on Facebook!