Date: 8/23/19 7:41 am
From: 'Rhonda (Monroe) Rothrock' <woodthrusheola8...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET no sighting-note on fulvous whistling-duck
Just a note, that if you go looking for this bird, patience is a virtue. I say that because, depending on which direction the fulvous is swimming, it might be nearly impossible to see in or recognize from the corn stubble it's been living in. When I saw it, when it was probably the closest to the levee road, it would seem to magically disappear then reappear. If it was swimming north, away from the levee, none of it's bright color was visible. It's black and white back side became camouflaged in the stubble. Then when it turned east or west, it would reappear like magic. It's color turning it into somewhat of a golden-orange beacon (it was a sunny morning that day, so the sun seemed to intensify it's color.
As per ebird, someone was at the location this morning, 08/23, but did not have the bird listed. We have been receiving enough rain to sustain the flooded fields but to what degree that will continue, I cannot say.
Rhonda Rothrock
Pomona, Jackson County, IL

Consider forming a team to compete in  the

16th Annual Birding Blitz of Southernmost IL, April 29, 2017!

16 years of outstanding birding comradery in southernmost IL!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/317666471615613/

Join us on Facebook!