Date: 8/23/19 6:13 am
From: Kendall Zook <kendallzook98...>
Subject: shorebirds at Gull Point, Presque Isle, Erie Co.
Hello all,

Last night Adam Erb, Henry Chupp, Steven Miller, and me went up to Gull
Point, Presque Isle for shorebirds. We spent 2 hours on the observation
platform, from 5:45-7:45. We had a good evening. The cooler weather system
moved in throughout the evening. The temperature dropped and a stiff north
breeze picked up by sunset. The number of shorebirds present seemed to be
lower than last year when we were up. Quite possibly that was a result of
the higher water levels and more vegetation cover than last year. Much of
the open mud and sand is around the rim of the point along the lake.
Highlight of the evening was about 6:30 when we heard an unusual call
-ki-ki-ki-ki-ki- coming from behind us over Lake Erie. We turned to see a
huge bird with the long cureved bill - Whimbrel!! It finally landed on the
point after circling for several minutes. For 20 minutes, it preened and
bathed, and then with a call, it flew off again over the Lake from the
direction it had come - north. Here is a complete list of the shorebirds we
saw on the point.

Black-bellied Plover

Piping Plover, 2 imm.

Semipalmated Plover