Date: 8/23/19 5:21 am
From: Lynette Leka <lynetteleka...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fw: Ida's passing and two thoughts
I'm forwarding this email to the MassBird community for input, but have removed the photos that were attached...

------------------------------------

Lynette Leka
Newbury, MA 01951
email: <lynette.leka...>

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>To: "<lynetteleka...>" <lynetteleka...>Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 8:52:11 PM EDTSubject: Ida's passing and two thoughts
Hi Lynette,
I'm saddened to hear of Ida's passing.

I'm a birder from Washington State who journeyed to Massachusetts to attend the Hydrographer Canyon (HC) BBC trip last August.  I got the chance to meet Ida with whom I had e-mailed many times over the last several years leading up to the trip.  I really enjoyed speaking with her and could see that she was a vastly admired member of the Massachusetts (and New England) birding community.  A friend of mine was to be on this weekend's BBC HC trip and let me know of Ida's passing.  I have been reading all the tributes to Ida and saw your message with a thought about how to memorialize her.
Several years ago when I was President of the Washington Ornithological Society, we were able to work with a group of birders and amend a bench that had been placed at a popular birding location in coastal Washington to memorialize a mother and son birding team who had a great impact on the Washington birding community.  Attached is a photo of the plaque that is on their memorial bench.
This may be a way to memorialize Ida so that people can still learn about Ida's impact on the birding community.
I'm also attaching a photo of a plaque dedicated to my father at Edwin B. Forsythe NWR in southern New Jersey.  The East Pool of that refuge was renamed the John Danzenbaker Pool in his honor.  We had a ceremonial at the unveiling of that plaque.  That's another idea of how to honor Ida's memory.
Just my two thoughts.
Thanks for your e-ear.
Jim--
Jim Danzenbaker