Date: 8/22/19 2:13 pm
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Least Bittern, North Pool PRNWR, 8-22-19
Hi there,I am the birder who had the picture of the Least Bittern. I watched it for nearly an hour this morning, from 8 AM to 9 AM. Thanks to Warren Tatro and Steve Babbit for pointing the bird out to me.
No Sora and no Virginia Rail seen there this time. (I saw those on Sunday!)
My eBird report may not be posted until sometime tomorrow though, as I have not finished reviewing my photos yet. I took 587 pictures today! As well as a couple great audio recordings of the sounds made by an Eastern Kingbird as he harassed a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Note: It sounds a lot like an Eastern Kingbird when he harasses a Red-tailed Hawk, or a Gray Catbird, or a Willow Flycatcher, or a shoe (if thrown in the direction of the Kingbird). ;-)
And speaking of hawks, a Northern Harrier flew over the Bill Forward Pool and into the reeds of the North Pool... Passing right over our heads! As it chased after a dizzying number of Tree Swallows.
Today was a great day to be out and about. Birding. And made better for me, thanks to the kindness of birders with scopes, who allowed me great views of Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser Yellowlegs, one Baird's Sandpiper and yes, that unusual attention-grabber, a spotlight seeking Least Bittern.
Happy Birding!Mr. Shilo McDonald, Lynn, Massachusetts
"The birds I know, I know really well. The birds I don't know, I also know really well." :-D

Join us on Facebook!