Date: 8/22/19 12:43 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir Complex (Again) Thursday 8-22-19
Hello Bird People,

Since there have been several ebird reports of Baird's Sandpiper at
this location, including one with a good photo of an obvious Baird's,
(although I haven't seen any of them) I thought I'd try again to find
one. I was joined in this search by Luis Munoz who now calls DuPage
County home.
But the cool front & the resulting winds from the north made most of
the shorebirds depart & we only found 5 species of shorebirds, none of
which was a Baird's. I went from seeing 54 individual shorebirds last
time to only 18 today. However, we still had a few interesting species
today.
Here's our day list:

Wood Dale Reservoir Complex (6:45-9:30 a.m.)

Reservoir

D.C. Cormorant (1)
Great Blue Heron (4) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (~60 at the start but most left)
Mallard (42), Blue Winged Teal (1) & Shoveler (1)
OSPREY (1 briefly in a tree) (Found by me)
PEREGRINE (1 chasing birds) (Also found by me, I was the raptor finder today)
Killdeer (only 6 & they did not return after the Peregrine visit)
Spotted (5), Least (3) & Semipalmated (3) Sandpipers
WILSON'S SNIPE (1) (Found by Luis)
Ring Billed (9) & Herring (1 fly-by) Gulls
Caspian Tern (7)

Middle Pond

D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blue Heron (1) & 1 Red Tailed Hawk (on a tower)

Western (Itasca) Wetlands (Still very flooded with no shorebirds)

Great Blue Heron (2), Great Egret (2), Canada Goose (13) & Mallard (1)

Land Birds

I had 16 species of land birds with the most interesting being one
BLACK & WHITE WARBLER (found by Luis), 6 Cedar Waxwings & a beautiful,
singing Baltimore Oriole.

Bird-Of-The-Day for Luis M will be the Wilson's Snipe.

Bird-Of-The-Day for me will be the Osprey as I like that species.
Runners-Up to the Peregrine, the Snipe & the Black & White Warbler.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the Baltimore Oriole.
I guess I will have to find another Baird's Sandpiper elsewhere.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: