Date: 8/22/19 12:00 pm
From: trwdsd via Groups.Io <trwdsd=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] HMBC Field Trip reminder- Counting Common Nighthawks 8/25-8/29
*Sunday, August 25 through Thursday, August 29, 2018, COUNTING COMMON NIGHTHAWKS* (Albany County; evenings)

Coordinators: *Scott Stoner & Denise Hackert-Stoner* 518-785-6760 <scottjstoner...> (8/25-8/27) and *Tom and Colleen Williams* 518-857-2176 <trwdsd...> (8/28-8/29)

The Common Nighthawk is an aerial insectivore that feeds at dusk and dawn. It breeds throughout much of North America, although in decline as it is no longer observed during the summer in many urban and suburban areas. A long-distance migrant, Common Nighthawks often travel in large flocks, on one of the longest migration routes of any North American bird. Most travel over land through Mexico and Central America to reach their wintering grounds in southern South America. Common Nighthawks are also among the last migrants to return to their breeding grounds in spring. In the Capital Region, the bulk of southbound migration occurs from mid-August until early September with a peak around the end of August.

*We will conduct our viewing from the parking lot at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center, located at 195 New Karner Rd. (Rt. 155) in Albany. Bring a chair and binoculars. We will begin each night at 6:00 p.m.

*