Date: 8/21/19 7:33 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (20 Aug 2019) 42 Raptors
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:18:21 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (20 Aug 2019) 42 Raptors

Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 1 1

Total: 42 48 48

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 13:45:00 Total
observation time: 5.75 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Chris Eddy, Marty McNamara

Visitors:
Observers: Rod Chase, Chris Eddy 9am-1pm, Marty McNamara from 12:30 -
1:45.

One nice gentleman stayed for hours: great conversations on a variety of
topics; name now lost in my damaged brain but I'll know him when he
returns... Also daily hiker, Frannie, old friend of the watch Dennis
Lawrence, and
another 25-30 other pleasant folks who stopped by alongwith about a
dozen Fabulous canines.
Marty and I witnessed 2 separate falls on the same rock in the path above
the ski lift. The second looked severe but lady and husband thought she'd
be ok though Marty and I both offered to give them a ride down to their
car.Ten minutes later we headed back up to the tower and they were sitting
nearby to ask if the offer was still open.
Of course, Chris was calling out the BW kettle and I said give me 5-10
minutes which was fine with them. Chris over-heard and, as the kettle
peeled, mentioned she had to leave
anyway and offered them the trip down! We all wish them well!

Weather:
Light and variable winds personified:
Speed 0-5mph from 8-11am, 0-3 til noon, 0-5 til 1pm
and 0-3mph again for last 45 minutes.
Direction was from N for 2 hrs, NNE from 10-11am, then
E swinging to S 11-noon and kept moving thru to NE
by 1:45pm closing of watch.
Almost a 360 degree rotation!
Temperature was also weird! 67 deg.(F) 8-9am, 68 9-10am
but then dropped to 64 by 11am! Then the increases
returned: 68 at noon,and 69 after 1pm. Cloud cover was 0% at start, 5%
at 9am and and 10% from noon until end of watch.
Visibility increased every 2 hours starting at 16 miles
until 10am, 32 mi. thru to noon and 40 mi. thereafter.
There was moderately good thermal lift from 9am and on.

Raptor Observations:
Migrants:
First 2 birds (migrating) were BW's that appeared in NE and and flew
east and then passed us south side of hill before venturing to SW. All
the morning birds followed this route and were solo birds except for
that 1st pair.
> From 11am-12pm we had nothing migrating and then all of
the afternoon migrants passed us going on the western
side of Wachusett appearing anywhere from NE-NW and
exited in the SW.
The first afternoon BW's appeared as a kettle of 25 at
12:15pm with 2 stragglers a few minutes after the WSW
peel. At 1:40 we had 6 BW's in two groups of three. Locals: 2 adult BE's
to NE(9am) and 1 BE (unaged) over
the Wachusett Resevoir. I took a break shortly after
noon to scout the upper ski slope and saw 2 CH's hunting from dead
trees. 12 TV's wandered around thru the day. 2 UB's (unidentified
Buteos) seen far to NW.

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptor notes
Common Ravens 9; Swallows 14; 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
observed on the upper ski slope.

Monarch 1.

Predictions:
Uhhh...
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly
a thunderstorm after 11am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds,
heavy rain, and frequent lightning. Increasing clouds, with a high near
81. Light southwest wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds
could gust as high as 20 mph.
(Chores tomorrow for me...)
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!