Date: 8/21/19 3:32 pm
From: David Bernstein <jackstraw1963...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Caspian Terns at Hawk Rise, Linden
Hi Folks,

I found five, maybe six Caspian Terns at Hawk Rise Sanctuary in Linden today. While standing at the Hawk Rise Overlook watching the Cormorants feed, I heard a familiar raspy sound. And in came the Terns. My second sighting of this species at the Sanctuary. Five ultimately landed on the sandbar in the Rahway River.

The Terns and about forty Cormorants were feeding on a unknown species of fish, each being about three to four inches long, that suddenly appeared in large numbers. Curious what type of fish they were. Seemed like there was plenty for all. An amazing sight. Another birder, who joined me later surmised they could be young Shad. Gizzard Shad? White Suckers? Is there a default bait fish in the Rahway River? Anyone?

Good birding!

David S. Bernstein

Berkeley Heights, NJ

Sent from my iPad