Date: 8/21/19 1:51 pm
From: linda pivacek <lpivacek...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Sad news - Ida Giriunas
Very sad news. I appreciate the responses and memories of "Our Ida". It has been healing to relive those "Ida moments".

One of many comes to mind. During one of the "first" Birdathons, our exhausted team searched for Great Cormorant on Egg Rock, Nahant. One team member spotted one and as Ida pushed for a location, he said "near the big stick". Then Ida said "I don't see a big stick", and so the conversation went to finding the stick. Then I spotted the cormorant and called out "I got the cormorant". To which Ida replied.. "forget the cormorant, where is the damn stick"? As you can imagine we were all in hysterics.

Linda

Linda Pivacek, Nahant

<lpivacek...>

On August 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM Barbara Volkle <barb620...> wrote:

> Ida Giriunas, long-time birder and trip leader, passed away yesterday. She was 91.
>
> Ida was a force of nature, fierce and passionate about birding. She led and participated in many trips for the Brookline Bird Club, serving as a trip leader and past president and board member, spearheading the nationally known BBC pelagic birding program and making an annual trip to Machias, Maine for Atlantic Puffins and other downeast specialties. Dedicated to birding, she was happy to share those experiences with those new to the birding world, the BBC and others. Those of us who knew her appreciated her directness, sense of humor and hearty laugh. Her years of service have been invaluable helping to make birding in New England the joy that it is.
>
> We won’t be able to replace her, and those of us who knew her are heartbroken.
>

> Barbara Volkle
>
> Northborough, MA
>
> <Barb620...> mailto:<Barb620...>

Join us on Facebook!